JAIIB's full form is Junior Associate of the Indian Institute of Bankers. It is an associate examination (flagship course) conducted by the Indian Institute of Banking and Finance (IIBF). This certification is highly valued in the banking sector and widely recognised as a benchmark for knowledge and skills.
JAIIB aims to provide fundamental knowledge about the role of the financial sector in the economic spectrum and the various banking and financial services. It will help the selected candidates to perform daily banking operations effectively.
Now that you have understood what the JAIIB exam is and its objective, it's time to learn about its important dates.
The JAIIB exam is conducted twice a year by IIBF. The first time is in May, and the second is in October. Below are the other important dates of the JAIIB exam.
Below are the tentative dates for the May 2024 session of the JAIIB exam:
Below are the tentative dates for the October session of the JAIIB exam:
● The above-mentioned exam dates are tentative. These are referred from the past years’ exams and can vary according to the 2024 JAIIB notification.
● The examination schedule and registration dates will be published on the IIBF website.
After knowing the important dates, it's time to understand the registration process of the JAIIB exam and how to apply.
Regular members can start applying from the first week of February at http://www.iibf.org.in/. Candidates are advised to complete the online JAIIB exam registration as early as possible and not keep it until the last date.
Here are the steps to apply online for the JAIIB Exam 2024:
Step 1: Visit the official website of the Indian Institute of Banking and Finance, which is http://www.iibf.org.in
Step 2: On the official website's home page, click the 'Examination/Courses' option on the screen.
Step 3: A list of various options will appear on your screen after clicking. Under this list, select “Flagship Courses”.
Step 4: Click the “JAIIB (Junior Associate Of IIB&F)” option. A new page will open where you can proceed with the JAIIB online application.
Step 5: Fill out your complete particulars in the online JAIIB exam application form, such as educational details, contact, exam centre, and other personal details. Upload scanned images of your photograph and signature.
Step 6: In the last step, candidates must pay the required application fee. The details for the application fee are given below.
The registration fee for the JAIIB 2024 exam is given below. Candidates can pay this online with a debit card, credit card, net banking, UPI, Wallet, or QR. The exam fee varies as per the number of attempts:
Here's a detailed breakdown of the fee structure based on the registration timeline:
During the first week of the registration period, candidates can register for the exam by paying the standard examination fee set by the IIBF. This fee is the regular cost that applicants need to pay to appear in the exam.
If candidates register during the second week of the registration period, they are required to pay the normal examination fee plus an additional Rs 100/-. This implies that the cost of the exam increases by Rs 100/- compared to the standard fee.
For those registering in the third week of the registration period, the fee structure includes the normal examination fees plus an additional Rs 200/-. Therefore, the cost of the exam during this week is Rs 200/- more than the standard examination fee.
Therefore, it's advisable to register early to benefit from the standard examination fee and secure a spot in the exam.
Now that you have understood how to apply for the JAIIB, let's look at the exam centres.
The JAIIB exam is conducted in various cities and towns across India. Candidates can select their preferred exam centre while filling out the application form. Here is the list of states and UTs for JAIIB exam centres:
After knowing the exam centres, it is time to understand the JAIIB exam eligibility and the number of attempts to determine if you are eligible for the exam.
Here is the JAIIB exam eligibility:
● The examination is open only to the ordinary members of the Indian Institute of Banking & Finance. (Any person working in the banking and finance industry whose employer is an Institutional member of the Institute can apply for membership.)
● Candidates must have passed the 12th standard examination in any discipline or equivalent. The Institute may, however, at its discretion, allow any candidate from clerical or supervisory staff cadre of banks to appear at the examination on the recommendation of the Manager of the bank/officer-in-charge of the bank's office where the candidate is working, even if they are not 12th standard pass or its equivalent.
● The subordinate staff of recognised Banking/Financial Institutions in India who are members of the Institute are eligible to appear at the examination, provided they have passed the 12th standard examination or its equivalent.
Here are the JAIIB exam attempt/time limit details:
A candidate gets 5 attempts to clear the JAIIB exam within three years, whichever is earlier, from when they register for the exam. These 5 attempts need not be consecutive.
If candidates cannot pass the examination within the maximum stipulated period of 3 years or 5 attempts, whichever is earlier, they will be required to re-enrol themselves afresh. Such candidates will not be granted credit/s for earlier passed subject/s, if any.
The time limit of 3 years or 5 attempts, whichever is earlier, will start from the registration date for the first attempt. Attempts will be counted when they apply for the exam, irrespective of whether the candidate appears for any examination or not.
The rules mentioned above imply that a candidate will be eligible to apply for any five out of the six examinations being conducted within three years. If a candidate avails of all five attempts before the completion of three years, they will be required to re-enrol afresh. Similarly, if a candidate does not avail of five attempts but the stipulated three years is over, they will be required to re-enrol themselves afresh.
Having familiarised yourself with the eligibility and exam attempts, let's learn its subjects and exam pattern.
The JAIIB exam consists of four subjects:
Indian Economy and Indian Financial System (IE IFS)
Principles and Practices of Banking (PPB)
Accounting & Financial Management for Bankers (AFM)
Retail Banking and Wealth Management (RBWM)
Here's a detailed overview of the JAIIB exam pattern:
The JAIIB Exam is held online, and the type of questions are multiple-choice. Each paper carries 100 marks, and there is no negative marking for wrong answers. Each paper is held on different dates, and the duration for each paper is 2 hours. The cut-off for each paper is 50%, i.e., 50 marks out of 100. There are 50 questions of 0.5 marks, 25 of 1 mark, and 25 of 2 marks.
For your easy understanding, we have provided the above-mentioned information in a table form below.
Having acquainted yourself with the JAIIB exam pattern, let's explore its syllabus to prepare effectively.
The JAIIB exam syllabus consists of four papers, each further divided into four modules. The detailed JAIIB exam syllabus is explained below:
After understanding the JAIIB exam syllabus, let's move on to find out the passing criteria of the JAIIB exam.
Candidates must meet the qualifying criteria below to clear the JAIIB examination.
● The minimum mark required to pass in each subject is 50 out of 100.
● Candidates securing at least 45 marks in each subject with an aggregate of 50% marks in all subjects of the examination in a single attempt will also be declared as having completed the examination.
● Candidates will be allowed to retain credits for the subject they have passed in an attempt till the expiry of the time allotted for passing the examination.
Here is the class of pass criteria for the JAIIB exam:
● First Class: 60% or more marks in aggregate and pass in all the subjects in the FIRST PHYSICAL ATTEMPT
● First Class with Distinction: 70% or more marks in aggregate and 60% or more marks in each subject in the FIRST PHYSICAL ATTEMPT
After understanding the passing criteria, let's find out when the admit card and results will be released.
The JAIIB admit card is expected to be available approximately a week before the exam date. Candidates can download their admit card by visiting the official website of IIBF. Candidates are recommended to download their admit card and secure a printed copy of the same well before the exam date.
IIBF releases the list of successful candidates who qualify the written test for the Junior Associate designation. This announcement is made on their official website following the completion of the examination process. The results for each paper are displayed individually on the website, simplifying the process for candidates to find their roll numbers.
After the result, the candidates who have passed the exam receive a detailed scorecard and a certificate.
Candidates get their marks on the screen after completing each paper; however, the JAIIB exam scorecard takes around 45 days from the conclusion of the examination. The JAIIB exam scorecard provides a detailed record of a candidate's performance in the exam. It typically includes the following information:
● Candidate's name
● Roll number or registration number
● Photograph of the candidate
● Candidate's signature
● Marks obtained in each subject (Indian Economy and Indian Financial System, Principles and Practices of Banking, Accounting and Finance for Bankers, and Retail Banking and Wealth Management)
● Total marks obtained in the exam (aggregate of scores from all subjects)
● Indication of whether the candidate has passed or failed the exam. If passed, the overall percentage or grade obtained.
● P=Pass, E= Qualification Exemption, and C=Credit Transfer.
● Date of issuing the scorecard
● Signature or stamp of the issuing authority
The scorecard is an essential document that reflects a candidate's performance in the JAIIB exam. Candidates must keep their scorecards secure for future reference and professional growth within the banking sector.
After receiving their scorecard, candidates receive their JAIIB certificate.
A digitally signed JAIIB certificate is issued to the candidates who have enrolled and passed the examination. The certificate is emailed to the candidate's registered email within 3 weeks from the result's declaration date. The certificate typically includes details such as:
● Candidate's name
● Candidate's signature
● Registration number
● Name of the exam cleared
● Pass class
● Date of successful completion
The JAIIB certificate holds significant value in career progression within the industry. It is valid indefinitely, signifying the candidate's proficiency and understanding of essential banking concepts and practices.
After receiving your certificate, you become eligible for various benefits.
Candidates get various monetary and other benefits, which we have explained below.
Here are the monetary benefits of JAIIB:
After clearing the exam, there is an increment in your basic salary.
● As a clerk, you are eligible to receive 2 increments after clearing the JAIIB exam.
● As an officer, you are eligible to receive 1 increment after clearing the JAIIB exam.
With the increase in your basic pay, your other allowances—TA, DA, and HRA also increase simultaneously.
Similarly, your contribution to your pension also increases.
Here are the other benefits of JAIIB:
Candidates who have successfully cleared the JAIIB exam become eligible to appear for the CAIIB (Certified Associate of the Indian Institute of Bankers) exam.
JAIIB certification can make you eligible for higher positions within the banking sector, often with increased responsibilities and higher salaries. Banks often consider JAIIB as a qualification criterion for promotions.
Clearing the JAIIB exam also enhances your knowledge and understanding of banking operations, laws, and practices.
Years Since Inception
EduTap Learning Solutions, 132P, Second Floor, Sector 14, Panchkula (Haryana)