How often do you forget things?
How often do you feel distracted?
Do you feel that you are losing your thinking ability?
Do you need yoga to improve memory?
Here we are with five easy-to-do yoga asanas to improve concentration and memory.
As we know, yoga has given us ways to improve our health. Yoga helps in maintaining our physical and mental health. It helps in calming our mind, enhancing memory and concentration, it also improves our thinking ability and cognitive skills.
1.Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
Padmasana is a crossed-leg posture that deepens your meditation and calms the mind. This asana is one of the most doable yoga to improve memory.
How to do it:
- Sit on a yoga mat with your legs stretched. Keep your back straight.
- Now, bring your right leg up on your left thigh. Again, your sole should direct upward.
- Now, bring your left leg on the right thigh with the sole facing upward.
- With this position, place your hands in the mudra position on the knees.
- Keep your head and back straight. Look forward to it.
- Now, slowly breathe in and breathe out rhythmically.
- It calms the brain.
- This yoga Improves your concentration
- It relaxes the whole body.
- It also helps to improve brain functioning and cognitive skills.
- Do not practice it if you have an ankle injury.
- Avoid doing it if you have a knee injury or sciatica.
- Please don’t do it for a long time as it puts a lot of stress on the knees.
2.Bhramari (Bee breathing)
Bhramari is pranayama in which you inhale through your nose, and while exhaling, you make a soft buzzing sound.This is also considered to be the best yoga for concentration and memory
How to do it:
- Choose a comfortable sitting position.
- Close your eyes.
- Breathe in and breathe out. Relax.
- Place your thumb on your ear to block external sounds on both sides.
- Now, place your index fingers on your eyes.
- Put your middle fingers on the sides of the nose.
- Close your mouth by putting a ring finger on the upper lip and a little finger on the lower lip.
- Inhale slowly.
- Exhale slowly, producing a continuous humming sound.
10) Feel the energy running through your whole body.
11) Hold your breath as long as you can, and then repeat the process.
- This asana is one of the best yoga to improve memory and concentration.
- It relieves your tension and anxiety instantly.
- This asana calms down the agitated mind.
- It also helps to build confidence.
- It gives relief from headache. So, it is helpful in migraine.
- Do it on an empty stomach.
- Your mouth should be closed while making a humming sound.
- Try not to put any pressure on your face and eyes.
Tratak is a gazing exercise to remove disturbances in the mind. This yoga is beneficial to improve memory.
How to do it:
- First, choose a quiet place.
- Place a lamp or a candle at the level of your eye. The light source should be placed at 20-25 inches away.
- Now, sit on a mat comfortably. You can sit in any posture.
- Keep your head, neck, and back straight.
- Now, focus on the lamp or the candle.
- Keep watching as long as you can without blinking.
- As your eyes get tired, close your eyes for some time.
- Repeat the process 8-10 times.
- After doing this, wash your eyes with cold water.
- This exercise gives relief from stress.
- It is highly effective in improving your concentration.
- It helps to reduce your anger.
- It also helps to improve your eyesight.
- This yoga helps in sleeping problems like insomnia.
- It helps you to free yourself from negative thoughts.
- Choose a dark and quiet room.
- Do not practice this asana if you have eye problems.
- Lamplight should be constant and at the level of the eye so that your gaze is effective.
4.Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand pose)
Sarvangasana is a yogic posture in which the whole body is balanced and blood flow to the brain increases.
How to do it:
- Lie on your back.Draw your legs towards your hip and fold them.
- Gently raise your legs upward and slightly backward.
- Now, raise your upper body by placing your hands on both sides. Keep your head and neck lying.
- Balance the whole-body weight on your palms, elbows, head, and neck.
- Maintain this pose for some time. Breathe normally.
- While exhaling, gently fold your legs, lower your hips.
- Now, lie on your back in the supine position and stretch your legs.
- Relax for some time and repeat.
- This yoga helps to enhance blood circulation to your head and upper body.
- It increases brain ability.
- It increases your alertness.
- It also improves your self-confidence.
- This asana is one of the best yoga methods to improve memory.
- Don’t overstrain your neck or move it.
- Practice under the supervision of an expert.
- Move your body slowly.
5.Padahastasana (Standing forward bending pose)
Padhastasana is a part of surya namaskara.
How to do it:
- Stand straight on a mat.
- Keep your feet at a distance of 2 inches.
- Now, bring your hand upwards above the head.
- Bend forward at your hip joint taking your hands towards your feet.
- Keep your head downwards in that position.
- Maintain this position for 10-30 seconds.
- While exhaling, bend your knees and gently pull your body upward.
- Improves concentration yoga.
- It increases your vitality. It boosts your spirit.
- It helps to stimulate your spine.
- It improves your endurance.
- If you suffer from severe back pain or abdominal hernia or sciatica, or heart problems, you should not do this yoga.
- Don’t overstretch. Practice according to your capability and flexibility.
Keep patience with practicing yoga. Make it a habit. Yoga to improve memory takes time. However, you will see the results in the long run. For a better experience, try joining yoga classes.